Were you recently part of an aviation excursion gone wrong? Have you suffered injuries or trauma due to an aviation accident? If so, then you’ll need to hire an aviation accident lawyer to represent you.
Doing so will help you compile evidence and build your case. They’ll have the experience and know-how to help you fight this battle and get compensation for your losses. That could be in the form of medical bills, lost wages, or long-term disabilities.
See below for an in-depth guide on the importance of hiring an aviation lawyer and having them by your side throughout this entire process.
Identify the Aviation Accident Causes
Did you know that, in 2019, records indicated that there were only 20 fatal airliner accidents? Those crashes resulted in 283 fatalities and a few injuries.
Granted, those statistics are a trend in the right direction. That was the seventh safest year ever recorded. Still, some of the causes of those crashes remain a mystery.
But what about the ones that aren’t fatal? What if you’ve been involved in an aviation accident in Houston and have injuries to show for it? How can you build your case and attempt to get the compensation you need for those injuries?
It all starts with identifying the cause. What caused the accident to occur? It could be one of these:
- Pilot was intoxicated
- Negligence by the airline you were a passenger on
- A mistake made by the pilot
- Defective parts on the airplane
- A mistake made by the air traffic controller
There could be other reasons as well. The only way you’ll be able to crack down on the process and identify the cause is with an aviation accident lawyer. They’ll use their experience and resources to study what went wrong and who or what is to blame for the problem that led to your accident.
Assistance in Getting Your Desired Compensation
There are many victims of aviation accidents that choose to go one of two paths after they’ve suffered injuries:
- They choose to “leave it alone” and not pursue legal action. This results in them paying for medical bills and (most likely) putting financial stress on themselves.
- They decide to represent themselves in court to pursue legal action but “cut costs” on hiring an attorney.
Let’s talk about the former decision first. This isn’t the time to be a humble hero. The injuries that you’ve suffered are the result of someone else’s negligence. Why should you cover thousands of dollars in medical bills you wouldn’t otherwise need?
This can quickly result in you suffering lost wages if you’re unable to work or long-term financial struggles. More importantly, if you never seek medical attention, your injury might turn into a long-term disability.
On to the second decision. You aren’t saving money by not hiring an attorney, you’re losing money by going that route.
If you represent yourself, you’ ‘ll be going up against a team of professional lawyers and insurance companies. They’ll convince you to settle for less than you need, settle early on, and so forth.
An aviation attorney will give you more leverage. They’ll help you calculate the amount of compensation you need. Then, once you’ve decided on a number, they’ll wait it out with you until you get the amount that you’re entitled to.
What Terms You Need to Know
Odds are that you’ve never done much research on aviation accident cases, much less been involved in one. If not, that’s okay!
When you hire an experienced aviation accident attorney, they’ll make sure that you’ve filled in on the entire process and what to expect. That said, there are a few terms you should know:
- NTSB- Stands for the National Transportation Safety Board. They are responsible for investigating all aviation accidents and helping your attorney find the cause of the accident.
- Wrongful Death- Any death that was a direct result of someone else’s negligence (carelessness). Describes any act performed by one person that led to the death of another.
- FAA- Stands for Federal Aviation Administration. They are the ones that set all the rules and regulations that airlines abide by. If any rules are broken, it can strengthen your case.
- Compensation- The amount of money you’re seeking to cover financial losses due to the aviation accident. This includes medical bills, long-term disability, lost wages (if you aren’t able to work), mental trauma, and so forth.
- Common Carrier- Refers to a business transaction in which an airplane was being used to transport products from one place to another. You can seek compensation if an aviation accident led to your loss of products.
How to Find the Right Aviation Accident Lawyer
It’s vitally important that you hire the right aviation accident attorney in Houston to represent you. Doing so can strengthen your case and give you confidence.
Find someone whose top priority is your health. They’ll take over the case so that you can focus solely on improving your health and getting back to 100-percent.
Ask them about their process, how long they think the case will take, how much you should ask for in compensation, and so forth. Choose the lawyer that gives you the most information possible.
Get Your Case Started Today
Now that you have seen the major importance that an aviation accident lawyer has in your case, it’s time to find the right fit for your needs.
Have you or a loved one been in an auto accident? If so, be sure to read this article on the most common car accident injuries.
For more inquiries, please be sure to reach out via our contact us page and we will be happy to assist you further.