Houston Premises Liability Lawyer
Property owners, including landlords, businesses, and homeowners, owe visitors and guests a general duty of care to keep their premises safe and hazard-free. If you or your family member experienced harm on another’s property due to negligence, Texas statutes protect people in your situation by permitting you to file a claim against the at-fault party’s insurer.
However, the insurance company does not want to pay more than its share of benefits pursuant to the policy’s terms and conditions and applicable laws. The insurer’s opinion regarding your claim’s value may differ from what is consistent with your injuries or losses. There are also legal deadlines that apply to your claim, which means that it is imperative to talk with a Houston premises liability lawyer as soon as possible.
Get legal advice pertaining to your injuries or loved one’s death with the law offices of Omar Khawaja. Schedule your Free Consultation by sending us a note here or calling (281) 888-2339 today. If you hire our legal team to represent your case, we will not request any form of advance payment and only get paid for our time and resources when you win.
Types of Premises Liability Cases Attorney Omar Handles
Premises liability laws in Texas address a wide range of personal injury cases. Different rules govern these cases when compared to traditional injury matters. As such, hiring a Houston premises liability lawyer at the law offices of Omar Khawaja will ensure that your claim follows all applicable federal and state statutes so that it does not derail due to common legal mistakes.
Attorney Omar fights for clients to ensure that they receive fair representation under the following types of premises liability accidents:
- Slip and fall accidents: A slip and fall accident occurs when present hazards cause you to fall to the ground. Examples may include wet floor slips, unsafe stairs, poor lighting, and more. If you decide to work with our Houston-based law firm to represent you, we will guide you through the claims process against a negligent property owner.
- Trip and fall accidents: Trip and fall accidents are similar to slip and falls, except that the hazard causes you to trip. Examples of trip and fall hazards include exposed cords, raised door jambs, and clutter. Your Houston premises liability lawyer will ensure that your case is investigated and documented for your losses.
- Swimming pool accidents: Swimming pools are known for their dangers. From inadequate enclosures to malfunctioning equipment, you have every reasonable expectation to believe that you were safe swimming as a licensee or invitee. Attorney Omar will fight for your or your family’s rights.
- Cruise ship accidents: Cruise ships cause a host of accidents to boarded travelers every year. These cases tend to be tricky since they may involve other countries or international waters. A Houston premises liability lawyer at the law offices of Omar Khawaja will hold liable operators accountable for their actions.
- Amusement park accidents: From malfunctioning rides to park staff’s negligent actions, you should not suffer from injuries due to what is supposed to be a joyful and fun visit. Make sure you hire a Houston premises liability lawyer to represent your amusement park accident injury case.
- Dog bites and attacks: State and city dog bite laws require property owners to ensure that their dogs do not bite or attack visitors, pedestrians, and other individuals in the area. If you were bitten or attacked by a dog, work with a Houston premises liability lawyer to get the financial compensation you need for your damages.
Attorney Omar has helped hundreds of clients obtain the compensation that is equitable to their physical, emotional, and financial losses. When you hire our legal team, your Houston premises liability lawyer has the requisite experience and knowledge to get the money you need after accident injuries or a family member’s wrongful death.
Contact a Houston Premises Liability Lawyer
If you or a family member were negligently harmed on another’s property, request a Free Consultation with Attorney Omar. You can get the answers you want to the questions you have by contacting us online or by calling (281) 888-2339 now.
You Do Not Have to Pay for Injuries You Did Not Cause
There are several types of accidents that fall under Texas premises liability laws. Even still, the severity of the injuries does not differ from other personal injury or wrongful death matters. The costs associated with your or your loved one’s care can mount quickly, alongside other painful losses, including emotional distress and mental anguish.
At the law offices of Omar Khawaja, a Houston premises liability lawyer will help you pursue a civil award to pay for the financial and emotional damages related to the following injuries:
- Head, neck, and back injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spine and spinal cord damage
- Shattered bones, dislocations, and fractures
- Internal organ damage and bleeding
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Other injuries suffered
As an injury victim, you have a duty to mitigate further injury, which means that you should concentrate on making your recovery your priority. You do not want the insurance company claiming that you did not follow through on your doctors’ orders or that you missed medical appointments.
Ensure that you are taking every practical step that you can take to prevent additional physical and financial harm. If you need legal advice, a Houston premises liability lawyer at the law offices of Omar Khawaja will help.
DETERMINING YOUR STATUS ON A PROPERTY
The actionability of your case depends upon the type of visitor you were on the property. Some visitors can file a claim, while others do not have the legal right to do so. Ensure that your case has traction by speaking a Houston premises liability lawyer at the law offices of Omar Khawaja.
Texas laws recognize three (3) types of visitors on a property, including:
- Invitee: An invitee is someone who has permission to be on the property under implied consent, such as a customer or a friend visiting a home. The property owner owes an invitee the highest level of safety possible.
- Licensee: An invitee is one who has permission to enter the premises but not from a specific invitation, such as an on-site utility worker. The property must keep the place reasonably safe but is not liable for hazards unknown.
- Trespasser: A trespasser is one who does not possess the legal right to enter a property. Typically, property owners are not liable for trespasser injuries.
Your Houston premises liability lawyer will interview witnesses, obtain police reports, and analyze statements to ensure that you are appropriately classified based on your reason for being there and the relationship you have with the property owner. No stone will go unturned when you hire the legal team at the law offices of Omar Khawaja to represent your premises liability matter.
Negligence Is Important to Understand
Negligence is generally the backbone of any personal injury matter, including premises liability cases. The essence of the term refers to the careless or reckless actions taken by another. When someone’s negligent actions cause your injuries on their properties, you have standing to file an insurance claim or lawsuit.
The legal definition of negligence goes deeper than what many know, and proving it is essential to your case’s outcome using strong, admissible evidence.
For you to have an actionable claim, your Houston premises liability lawyer must prove the following four (4) elements:
- The defendant lived in, leased, or owned the property in which your accident occurred and owed you a general duty of care to keep the premises safe
- The defendant breached his or her duty toward you or your family member by keeping the property unsafe or hazardous
- The unsafe or hazardous conditions contributed to your accident injuries or family member’s death
- You experienced direct financial and emotional losses as a result of your accident injuries or family member’s death, including medical bills, lost work wages, mental anguish, and more
As you can see, the elements that you must prove, point-for-point, are complex when trying to obtain an equitable award for the damages that another person caused you. Instead of accepting a lesser settlement offer, hire a Houston premises liability lawyer to represent your version of events and protect your legal rights throughout the entire claims process.
Compensation Available After a Premises Liability Accident
Civil laws and courts oversee premises liability cases. Instead of seeking criminal penalties, the goal of a civil case, whether in or out of court, is to obtain the money that you are owed for the injuries or damage someone else caused you. Since it is implied and understood that your case could end up going to civil court, Attorney Omar will prepare as if it is.
By hiring him as your Houston premises liability lawyer, we will fight for the following types of civil compensation on your behalf through an insurance settlement or civil court award, including:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost wages from missed time at work
- Physical pain and suffering
- Lost future earning capacity
- Wrongful death compensation for family
- Punitive damages
- And more
Attorney Omar will evaluate your case after an investigation to establish the value of your case. As your prognosis develops, your Houston premises liability lawyer will document new and ongoing losses so that the insurance company accounts for them in your award. Our legal team may even ask that you keep a personal journal regarding the pain you are experiencing and your overall emotional health since it is admissible as evidence for pain and suffering damages you suffered.
Statute of Limitations for Texas Premises Liability Matters
Like all states, Texas imposes a civil statute of limitations on premises liability matters. A statute of limitations is a civil time limit that limits the timeline by which you have to file a claim. In Texas, the premises liability statute of limitations is two (2) years from the date of your injury or loved one’s death.
Missing the Texas Statute of Limitations
When you miss this deadline, you no longer lawfully possess the right to file an insurance claim. The insurer will deny the benefits for which you are asking since they no longer have a liability to pay for your losses. If you file your case in civil court, the court will deny your petition, or the insurer will file a motion to dismiss, which the judge will likely grant.
The Statute of Limitations Is Imperative to Your Case
Do not miss the statute of limitations. It jeopardizes your case. However, there are very few exemptions to this rule. If you could not file a claim for specific reasons, make sure that you speak with Houston premises liability lawyer to help you determine if your case still has legal standing.
Hire the Law Offices of Omar Khawaja to Represent Your Case
Premises liability laws allow you to pursue civil compensation when the condition of another’s property harms you or a family member, whether residential or commercial. If the property owner failed to meet his or her general care duty, you do not have to accept less money from their insurer than what you deserve and need.
Attorney Omar Hold Property Owners Accountable
Your Houston premises liability lawyer will hold property owners accountable for their negligent actions while taking their insurance company to task. Attorney Omar will thoroughly and comprehensively investigate your case, obtain an expert opinion, and preserve evidence that speaks to the facts and circumstances of your insurance claim or civil court lawsuit.
Standing By Your Side at Every Critical Point
While overwhelmingt majority of premises liability cases settle before ever going to trial, civil court is always a real possibility. If the insurer refuses to pay you an adequate settlement or act in good faith, your Houston premises liability lawyer at the law offices of Omar Khawaja will represent your case and prepare it for trial. You are never left to fight alone when you work with our legal team.
No Upfront Legal Fees
The cost and fees associated with legal representation is too much for most families to afford. It is for this reason that Attorney Omar will take your case on a contingency fee basis. Instead of paying for a retainer upfront, your Houston premises liability lawyer does not get paid unless we earn your business by winning your case.
The Representation You Want
The law offices of Omar Khawaja are ready to fight on your behalf against property owners who do not keep their premises safe. Your recovery and health are our top priorities, which means that we will offer legal advice and support to ensure you give yourself every fighting chance possible to restore your life before the accident happened.
Free Consultation with Attorney Omar
If you or your family member were harmed on someone else’s property, make sure you learn about your legal options. Start now by calling Attorney Omar for a Free Consultation by contacting us here or calling (281) 888-2339.